The earliest American settlers were pioneers. Arriving on a new continent, they had to build everything from scratch. This brought home the value of proper tools, apparel, and shoes. A pair of indestructible boots could make the difference between life and death.
Even though conditions are not that severe nowadays, a well-made pair of boots using the best materials would carry through many seasons. Those work boots made in the USA were designed to protect the feet in extreme work and cold weather conditions. They could be worn while working in a stone quarry, a forest, or on a factory floor.
Protection and Prevention – Today work boots are made according to protective and preventive guidelines. The ASTM guidelines ensure that the workers are safe in every eventuality. Good work boots are a lifesaver. They not only protect the user from work-related injuries but also protect the employers from fines, litigations, and penalties.
The seven Ps of good work boots are as follows;
- Protection from Falling Objects – The steel/alloy/plastic/Kevlar/aluminum toe can withstand an impact of up to 75 pounds when an object falls from a distance of up to 3 yards. In such an eventuality, your work boots have you covered.
- Protection from Cuts and Punctures – Something sharp like broken glass, a jagged steel bar, or an ax may fall on the employee’s foot. Or they may step on a sharp object like a nail. The puncture-resistant boots protect you from such hazards.
- Protection from Electricity – Build-up of a charge of static electricity and electrical hazards are inevitable when you work with power conducting apparatus. If you work with power conduits and exposed wires, you may experience an electric shock or a build-up of static charge. Electrical Hazard (EH) boots are made of insulators thus can withstand up to 18000 volts of an electrical shock for up to a minute in dry conditions. Static Dissipative (SD) boots are made of materials that ground the charge in a controlled manner.
- Prevention of Mishaps like slips, falls, and trips. The soles of these work boots are made of non-slip material such as rubber or polyurethane with aggressive lugs. These materials offer traction, while the lugs offer a firm grip on the substratum. This prevents mishaps and accidents which are the most common on-job injuries. The ergonomics of these work boots also prevent the buildup of soil, dirt, and debris between the lugs.
- Prevention of Fatigue – As the boot’s upper and sole work together to offer comfort and support. They contribute to making a workday – energetic and productive. They have features such as polyurethane (PU) midsoles, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) insole, etc., that work as shock absorbers. These materials also return the energy to the foot to facilitate ambulation and prevent tiredness. The mechanism feels like you are walking on air.
- Protection from Harsh Weather – These boots are made of waterproof materials. They may also be lined with insulation to protect from cold, wind, water, sleet, and scorching sun.
- Probably Mandatory – If you work for the industry, then you are required to observe its safety standards. You have to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as per OSHA directives and meeting ASTM Standards. You are most likely to be sent home if you do not observe the protocol. In other words, PPE is mandatory.
The other reasons to answer the question – Why Work Boots Made in USA–are;
Support the local economy – There has been a resurgence of the appreciation for local craftsmanship. Over the last few decades, we have seen manufacturers shut down their factories. The work was being outsourced overseas. These factors were having a deleterious effect on the local economy. It became a global phenomenon affecting France, UK, and many other countries.
Fortunately, there has been sufficient uproar about the loss of jobs and the harmful effects of outsourcing. Besides, it also became clear to the manufacturers they were losing their identity. Another blow to their pride was the loss of quality of the merchandise. As a result, manufacturers restarted their operations in their home countries to regain control of their brands.
People may observe that work boots made in the USA are costlier than the imported ones. But you pay the extra dollar for long-lasting quality. Besides, why wouldn’t we buy something made in the USA – this is patriotism!
Better craftsmanship – It is a fact that work boots made in the USA are of better quality than the imported ones. This is because the working conditions are better. And facilities are superior compared to overseas.
The overall positive effect on the personnel has them invested in their craft. Besides this, the size of the operation is smaller. It is supported with better equipment, which ensures a better quality of workmanship.
The manufacturers have also realized that professionals and boot enthusiasts appreciate quality craftsmanship. Furthermore, the level of mechanization is reduced to favor handmade boot construction. This factor also explains that the costs are not only because labor is expensive. It is because the product is coming from skilled labor.
As shared in the Danner origin story – despite the great depression – Charles Danner believed superior craftsmanship will flourish. It did, and the economy bounced back.
We all know that there are cheaper goods available from around the world, but people are willing to pay for the quality that lasts.
Preserving the Brands – American brands are a part of an ecosystem that is the economy. The demand is met by production, which is, in turn, supported by sales. If labor and production are costly, the product will be costly. But to support the local economy and keep people in their jobs – American people should buy American goods.
Over the last few years, we have seen the effects of production moving abroad due to cheaper labor. Many steel mills shut down, which killed entire towns. Thus, heritage brands should be preserved as “Institutions of All things American – Our identity!”
When we strive to maintain our identity, the local population thrives. Skilled labor develops and flourishes. In this case, generations of boot makers are culturally and economically conserved along with American traditions.
Heritage Brands – Here are the names of a few brands that are no less than a century old. Thorogood, Chippewa, Danner, Red Wing Heritage, Frye, Carolina, Hathorn Traveler, Justin Originals, etc. These are not just a footwear company – they are institutions – they are the souls of everything American. They are the bulwarks of our society – the stuff that gives us our identity. They are a part of our society, of who we are!
This multigenerational heritage is woven into the tapestry of our society and its culture. Each of these brands and boot styles has a colorful history – like cowboy boots. They have strong bonds with their region of origin and state. For example, Minnesota has not recovered from the shutdown of Red Wings.
Recently this brand has reopened a few workshops in the region. Yet, the residents still feel the pinch. Due to the above-mentioned issues, it is even more important to buy work boots made in the USA. They help preserve our rich heritage, culture, and history.
Exceptional Characteristics of Work Boots Made in the USA
You will note these characteristics about these boots;
High safety standards – These boots carry premium safety features. They have laid the foundation to ensure there are no accidents or injuries. The brands strive to bring all-day comfort, good orthopedic health, and well-being to the American people. Sub-par construction of boots using substandard materials only costs more in the long run. Besides, they cause fatigue which, affects the productivity of the company.
High-Quality Materials & Durability – The boot manufacturers use sophisticated procedures to mold premium quality materials into long-lasting, comfortable work boots. Whether crafted by hand or machine, there is no compromise in the construction of excellent boots. The excellence is because of the full-grain leather and superior quality components used in making them. This is the reason myriads of workers from around the world trust American work boots. The proof lies in the fact that when you enlist the top ten brands of work boots. You find that most of them are American. This is evidence of the fact that these companies maintain their class and standards that led to their sterling reputation.
Comfort – People walk around and stand on their feet for long hours at the job sites. A good pair of boots boost their performance and sense of wellbeing. It prevents health issues like back pain, ankle strain, foot pain, fatigue, etc. All these results from wearing inferior quality, unscientifically crafted footwear. Thus, comfort is the crucial factor built into these work boots. American boots are engineered with superior know-how. These lend to advanced features and the application of patented technologies. The aim is to help you focus on your work by eliminating any discomfort.
Sizing – Work boots made in the USA are made according to standard sizing. The standardized sizes help find the right fit. This is essential for maintaining the orthopedic health of the skeletal system. Getting the right fit eliminates the guesswork. Whether you buy the work boots through retail or online – you will always get the right fit.
Additional features – like the ASTM proposed features, Vibram outsole, aggressive lugs add safety features to the boot. The materials used to construct these boots are chemical, abrasion, oil, and slip-resistant.
What is the meaning of “Made in the USA using globally sourced materials”?
Most American manufacturers source the highest quality materials and components to make their boots from around the world. For example – they may source eyelets from Italy, outsoles from Spain, etc. All these efforts are directed towards meeting the demands of the customers. These manufacturers subject their products to high-quality control under Federal standards. Only then do they proudly place the “Made in USA” label on the work boots.
Are Work Boots Made in USA compliant to OSHA and ASTM Standards?
Yes, they are subjected to Standardized tests recommended by the ASTM F2413-18. These work boots offer protection from falling, piercing, and rolling objects. Depending upon the purpose of these work boots, they offer varying types and degrees of protection. They receive a rating and Certificate of Conformance from these independent labs.
What are the latest features of the work boots made in the USA?
Many designs merge fashion with function. These boots may carry safety toes made of steel or a composite material such as carbon fiber. The upper is made of waterproof material such as Denier, Nubuck leather, etc. The boots carry an energy-returning Vibram sole that reduces fatigue. The outsole may be chemical-, abrasion-, oil- and slip-resistant. Despite all these features, the boots are very light.
Here is another reason – Why Work Boots Made In USA?
Americans can make all styles of footwear with the best designs and materials. The various styles and types of boots are suitable for different work environments. American brands make work boots such as;
- Safety boots – steel toe/composite toe, metatarsal plate, insulation, full & heavy protection
- Riggers – industrial footwear, for oil rigs, insulated, slip, chemical & oil resistant
- Safety shoes – steel/composite toe, lighter, metal-free
- Safety Trainers – casual look, safety toe, slip & oil resistant sole
- Wellingtons – rubber, slip-resistant, washable, can be sterilized/disinfected
There are many reasons why you should choose premium work boots made in the USA. Firstly, they reflect American values of honesty, integrity, and hard work. Secondly, high-quality leather comes from hours of back-breaking work. Besides, the latest advances in materials science have made lighter, tougher long-lasting materials available for shoemaking. These traditional and advanced materials are used in making ergonomic boots.
Thirdly, these boots are worn in tough working conditions. Every effort is made to reduce hazards, risks, and injuries to the workers. One effort is to provide safety footwear. To ensure foot safety, the federal regulations mandated by OSHA require independent labs to test the work boots. These labs ensure that the work boots made in the USA meet all the ASTM Standards. These standards translate to high quality, durability, and safety.
Fourthly heritage brands are companies. These companies are made of people. People who have been associated with these companies for decades. Brands such as Danner, Chippewa, Frye, etc., have become a part of American Heritage. They are a part of everyday life – an American way of life. Thus, they should be preserved.
To preserve them, Americans should support locally made products. They may be costlier than imported boots. But they ensure high safety standards because of premium quality materials and construction. Their design and construction ensure comfort. The standardized sizes ensure you find the right fit always.
Work Boots Made in USA also offer enhanced protection such as chemical-, oil-, abrasion- and slip resistance. With so much going for the work boots made in the USA, why wouldn’t people opt for them?